Friday, February 21, 2014

"Blankets and love."

I have been given many amazing "gifts" since telling my friends and family about having cancer, most of them in the form of sweet treats, care packages, loving notes, and good food. But much as I love the sugar, I love the three blankets I've been given even more.

The first one was given to me by my sister J. She made it for me to use during chemo, and I've done just that. Affectionately called my "chemo" blanket, I cuddle up with this blanket every two weeks while my body is pumped full of poison. And when I'm completely done with chemotherapy, which might be in May or it might be never, I'm thinking of donating this blanket to my chemo clinic for other cancer patients to use.
My "chemo" blanket in action.
The second blanket that I've been given was handmade for me by my best friend M's mom. This lady is one of the sweetest women I know. She is so giving and shows love and concern through service. The blanket she made me is bright and soft. And heavy. I love it! I use it to cuddle on my bed or in my recliner in the evening before bed. She used this, which is ahhh-mazing.

Soft, warm, cuddly. And adorable!
The third blanket I've been given was handmade for me by my friends/co-workers at the IHC clinic I worked at for 7 years. I adore this group of people so much. I have life-long friendships that started in this place ... with really amazing, smart, admirable people. The clinic manager and my friend L brought over the quilt along with a box of frozen food for my family. It was one of the kindest gestures I've received to date.
By the way, I love this quilt. It hangs on my banister and I use it to cuddle on the couch. It is all soft, warm and heavy. I'm thinking that the mink fabric used on this quilt (and the one above) gives it the weight, and I love it!
Isn't it beautiful?

The embroidered message ...

So as you can see, I've been very VERY blessed in the blanket department. Each one not only warms my body, but warms my heart. Yes, I know that sounds rediculously cheezy, but I don't really care. I feel the love from many important, caring people every time I wrap up in one of my blankets.

Carry on,
~K



No comments:

Post a Comment