Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"One down, eleven to go."

The week after getting my diagnosis, I began treatment. The first step was seeing my surgeon, Dr. H. to discuss a portacath placement.
I really like all my doctors. But Dr. H ... he's one of my favorites. He's always been sincerely interested in my health. Meeting with him to discuss my diagnosis and port insertion, he responded just like I thought he would; with genuine concern.
He worked me into his busy schedule. The next day, I arrived at the surgery center, sick and already throwing up. They prepped me for surgery, gave me some of my "magic milk" (Propofol), and put a chemo port in my left clavicle.
My port ... and favorite flannel

I woke up sore and still nauseated. The thought of going to the chemo lab for my first treatment only added to my discomfort. I was pushed in a wheel chair from the surgery center to the cancer clinic but I don't remember much about that ride. My head hurt so badly and the nausea was nearly unbearable. My entire left side was sore and stiff.
I sat down in a recliner in the chemo lab and I honestly can't say that I remember a collective 5 minutes of the rest of that day. What I do remember; my neighbor (and chemo nurse) A getting me a blanket. I remember looking for my mom, numerous times, making sure she was there with me. I remember hearing my best friend M's voice. Aside from that, I don't remember much else.

My first chemo treatment. Flowers from my boss.

Hours later, I was sent home with a pump and told to return Friday to have it removed. I did just that. I slept for the next 45 hours straight and still sick, I returned to have the pump removed and to have fluids and anti-nausea meds administered.

Enter Emend. This drug is my favorite. I love it so much. I took an Emend pill the day that my pump was removed, then one each for the following two days after. I had NO NAUSEA. I was so tired, and my port bothered me immensely, but I wasn't sick to my stomach.
"I'll take it!" I told John. I had survived my first chemo treatment.

One down, eleven to go, I thought. I can do this. I'm going to complete my chemotherapy treatment and be cancer-free. I will survive. I believe that I can survive this. I said this to myself often during the days following my first chemo endeavor. I didn't really recover that quickly. The following Wednesday was the first day after my port surgery and chemo treatment that I had stayed awake all day and had been in bed during daylight hours.
Regardless, I really do believe what I told myself after chemo. I will survive this, and I will be a stronger person for it.

Carry on,
~K

No comments:

Post a Comment