Friday, November 29, 2013

"I'm sorry."

The hardest thing I've ever had to do ... tell me two teenage kids that I have cancer. It was heart wrenching to say it but to watch them respond, oh my God. Their expressions truly broke my heart.
My son is quiet and a worrier. He internalizes things and even though he's logical, he tends to be a little pessimistic at times. He genuinely wants to help me and for me to be well. He's smart. To see him tear up hurt me but to imagine some of the thoughts running through his head hurts more.
My daughter is talkative. She's expressive with her feelings. After a good cry and many hugs, she flat out told me that she's not going to worry but that she's going to stay focused on happiness and goodness. I know she's strong but I worry that sometimes it's a front. 
Telling them so far has been the worst part of finding out that I have cancer. 

Carry on,
~K


No comments:

Post a Comment