Friday, November 8, 2013

"Well ... I have colon cancer."

The day after I met with Dr. L, I was inundated with appointments. The colonoscopy was the most important test on the list of to-dos.
It was a Friday and I was sitting in a parking lot up north somewhere when I took what the longest scheduling phone call to date. The hospital had called to preregister me for the the scope. "Can I transfer you over to a nurse to do a medical history?"
Do I have a choice? I thought. "Sure."
Five minutes later, a chipper, youthful male voice said, "Hey Kristin, It's Pete. How are you today?"
Um, what are you, 14? "I'm fine, thanks."
"Now looks like ... yes, you're coming in for a colonoscopy. You're too young for a colonoscopy!"  He chuckled. "Why are you coming in for that?"
"Well ... I have colon cancer," I snapped. Dang it, I said to myself, be friendly.
I could almost hear the awkwardness through the phone but Pete recovered quickly. We finished the phone call and I made myself a promise not to snap at anyone else, no matter what they said to me, again.

Carry on,
~K

Favorite flannel.

No comments:

Post a Comment