Sunday, January 5, 2014

"Tattooed Spoons"

My younger sister J suffers from a chronic illness. She lives far away from me, about 3.5 hours by car. I miss her. And because she and I are both dealing with health issues right now, she's become a great source of information and insight for me during my treatment. Recently she sent me a link to an article that I found most interesting.

The Spoon Theory

After reading the article I realized that unlike J, my side effects and fatigue and nausea will someday go away. Her symptoms will not. Someday, I won't be counting spoons. I'm sure J will always have a number in her head from one day to the next. My chemo will end, but her lupus will not. Those facts are very VERY disheartening to me.

J has a strong will about her and a wonderful little family to fight for. And like me, she often times mocks her condition. We do this to keep things light and in a twisted way, positive. She mentioned that she had heard of Lupus patients tattooing spoons on their bodies, little inked reminders of their will to survive. We agreed that we're not ready to go tattooing eating utensils on us, but instead will support eat other daily through text and phone calls.

Still, you never know what the future holds, right?

threekingstattoo.com

Carry on,
~K




No comments:

Post a Comment